Award Set Up:
(1) E-mail Stephanie Louie to obtain the Broad Center parent chart string. The post-award manager for the project will then need to request a separate project ID, and utilize the PI's Department ID, to set up a unique chart string for the project.
(2) Once the PI's project chart string is set up, e-mail it to Stephanie Louie.
(3) We will then allocate funds to the PI's project chart string. Please note: any overdraft of the award is the responsibility of the Principal Investigator’s Department. Failure to clean up overdrafts can jeopardize future Broad Center funding for the Principal Investigator.
No Cost Extensions:
3 months: A request to extend funding for 3 months requires no justification from the PI. Departmental financial staff or the PI can notify Stephanie Louie of the 3 month delay in spending out the award via e-mail (email@example.com).
3 – 6 months: To request an extension beyond 3 months of the original award period, the PI should request the extension, by email or memo, addressed to Dr. Arnold Kriegstein, (Director of the Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regeneration Medicine and Stem Cell Research Seed Grant Program) but sent to Stephanie Louie, and it should include the following information:
- Title of the project
- Award period
- Award amount
- Amount of unspent funds
- Date through which the award is to be extended
- A plan to spend out the award within the new time frame
6-12 months: If the extension is beyond 6 months, also give specific reasons for the delay.
More than 12 months: no extensions.
*PLEASE NOTE: IF A NO COST EXTENSION IS NOT REQUESTED AND THERE IS A CREDIT BALANCE REMAINING IN A FUND 3 MONTHS AFTER THE END DATE OF AN AWARD, THE CREDIT BALANCE WILL BE RETURNED TO THE BROAD CENTER.
When awarded a Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regeneration Medicine and Stem Cell Research Seed Grant, funds for each period should be expended within the period as proposed. Unexpended funds must be returned to the Broad Center. Although we discourage credit balances at the end of the award period, Principal Investigators may request a no cost extension for either 3, 6, or 12 months (no cost extensions over 12 months are not permitted). See above for no cost extension request policies.
Overdraft of the award is the responsibility of the Principal Investigator’s department. For example, if the Principal Investigator’s appointment is in the Department of Biochemistry, then the Department of Biochemistry is responsible for clearing any overdraft of the fund.
The award must be applied solely to the conduct of research as outlined in your project proposal.
Faculty and administrative salaries, student tuition/fees, travel, and food/entertainment are specifically excluded.
General office supplies and telephone charges must be 100% related to the research project; expenses that appear on the general ledger will be closely audited by the Administrative Director.
Salaries for graduate students, postdocs, and professional technical staff are allowed.
So that we can prepare our annual stewardship reports to our donors, we will ask Principal Investigators to provide progress reports for each year of their award.
When publishing research supported by Broad Center funds, please use the following acknowledgement: "This project was funded by the UCSF Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regeneration Medicine and Stem Cell Research." Please also send a PDF of each publication to Stephanie Louie.